4th of July 2010

We had a very fun and...shall we say...eventful Independence Day.

If you read the previous post, you know what I'm getting at. But really, it was a beautiful and very fun day. We started the morning with church, then came home for lunch and to shoot off some fireworks for the girls. Yes, it was broad daylight at noon, but when you have a 1 and 3 year old, you take whatever time slot you can get for shooting off fireworks! :) The girls were so sweet in their matching dresses that my mom bought for them.

After lunch and naps, the girls and I headed down to my parents for Sunday dinner. I brought their swimsuits, and they had so much fun playing with uncle Joe (and Jake, the dog) in the pool.

My brother, Nate, broke his collar bone in two places while longboarding last week. This was the first time we saw him with his new sling and his new haircut. He used to have a pony tail -- but can no longer reach it to style it, so he chopped it off. (Oh, and isn't my Mama beautiful?)

The excitement began after dinner when the girls and I headed back to Princeton for the fireworks display at the fairgrounds. It was a step of faith to even attempt the fireworks with two young children, since they didn't even start until after 10:00 pm (normal bedtime is 8:30 pm).

Much to our delight, both of the girls were extremely sweet, pleasant, and excited the entire time! When the fireworks started, they were both in complete awe and amazement, and so happy.

Then, out of the blue, it happened. Ruby had been leaning against my chest, looking up at the sky, when all of the sudden she leaned forward and started puking everywhere. Thank God there was nobody sitting directly in front of us in the bleachers.

I had to quickly get her out of the stands, strip her down to her diaper, and give her a baby wipe bath. The whole time, she never cried or whined once -- she just went right back to watching the fireworks as I wiped her down and cleaned her up. We ended up walking away from the fireworks just before the grand finale, which was disappointing, but necessary.

Looking back, there were a couple warning signs we could have paid attention to. She had been tired for her nap earlier than normal and slept longer than normal. She also didn't have much of an appetite at lunch or dinner (which made me feel horrible, because I made her eat anyhow). And when we got to the fairgrounds, JP bought some mini donuts and french fries, and she turned both of them down -- which is VERY unusual for Ruby! She wasn't fussy or upset at all; she just smiled and said, "No thank you, Daddy!"

Neither of the girls got to bed until almost 11:00 pm that night, but they were such sweet princesses the whole time. Ruby was back to her old self today, and Rae hasn't shown any signs of feeling poorly either. Thank you, Jesus!

No comments: