2.02.2007

Baby Update

Today I left the doctor's office with a big smile on my face for the first time in weeks!
The report is that I am 1 cm dialated and 50-60% effaced. Dr. Spencer said this is good - the fact that I'm already dialating (and I didn't even know it) probably means that when I DO go into labor, things will move along rather quickly.
So here's the plan (sorry if this is gross to anybody): if the baby hasn't come by next Wednesday, they are going to send me to St. John's for a Non-stress test (to make sure the baby is okay) and they will administer this gel that is supposed to help ripen my cervix. If nothing happens, I'll go back on Thursday and get the gel again. If that still doesn't work, they will induce me on Friday. That's only one week away! The end is in sight!
Of course, anything and everything could happen between now and Wednesday, as well.
Oh, and I gained one more pound this week, putting me at 27 pounds total so far. Not bad!
I am so encouraged. I totally thought that I would have come out of the office today thinking no progress had been made and that this baby was still 2 weeks away from arriving. Thank you Jesus for this encouraging news right when I needed it most!

2 comments:

margaret said...

I was induced with my first 2 kids. The gel was all they had to use because it started the contractions within 1 hour. I hope it works the same for you! (Be prepared... they keep the gel in the fridge until the last minute and it is COLD!)

Anonymous said...

Not to be a downer, but I was dialated to 2 cm and 50-60% effaced for over 2 weeks. I did go into labor on my own the morning I was supposed to get the same gel stuff. On the upside, my doctor told me the same thing - because I was already effaced & dialated things would move quickly - and they did - only 7 hrs. of labor from the first contraction until she came. Hang in there - when they gave me a date to be induced the time seemed to fly by because I knew the end was in sight.

And one piece of new mom advice - when people ask you how they can help those first few weeks, they really mean it. Put them to work folding laundry, making meals, cleaning a bathroom, doing dishes, etc. I had so much help those first few weeks. It was so great to not have to worry about every day chores and spend the time relaxing with my husband and getting to know our daughter.