1.05.2007

"Will You Go Out Without Knowing?"

Today I was reading out of My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. He was looking into Hebrews 11:8 where it says "He went out, not knowing whither he went."
That's exactly how I feel these days. I'm about to "go out" on the adventure of being a full-time mom & homemaker. I don't know how it's all going to work out or even what I need to do. I'm just going out, "not knowing whither I go."
People ask what I'm going to do as a housewife. I have no idea. The only thing I know is that God knows what He is doing, and JP and I both believe this is what God has directed for our life as a family.
From the book:
"It is this attitude that keeps you in perpetual wonder -- you do not know what God is going to do next. Each morning you wake it is to be a 'going out,' building in confidence on God.
"Have you been asking God what He is going to do? He will never tell you. God does not tell you what He is going to do; He reveals to you Who He is."

I am confident, yet scared to take this step. I want God to tell me exactly what is going to happen and what it's going to be like. Instead, He only shows me Who He is.
He is faithful. He is wise. He is a good Father. He is my help, my strength, my strong tower. He will be all I need.

2 comments:

welch said...

It really is the toughest job you'll ever love. I think the most dangerous thing is to go into with unrealistic expectations, both for you and JP, and it certainly sounds like that is not the case. It certainly helps to have family and a support system near by. Things will be great.

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about Joshua lately and how he must have felt when the leadership cloak was handed to him after the death of Moses to lead the children of Israel. Here's a man who hadn't performed a miracle in his life, and now he was being asked to take over where the man who parted the Red Sea left off! It was strange, new, and scary ground. But God gives Joshua His own commands, comforts, and encouragements. He cautions Joshua to meditate on the Word of the Lord. He encourages him to be strong and courageous, but also don't be terrified, and don't be discouraged. I think those last two are the things that will bury us, break us, and snuff us out when God calls us into new territory. Don't be terrified, and don't be discouraged Audra. There will undoubtedly be times when it is warrented to be afraid and discouraged beyond hope. But also remember the promise God gives Joshua, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

Maybe this sound all too sobering, but I believe you know as well as I do that raising children these days is a task that should be considered soberly. I also know that you're stepping into this arena with as much fear and trembling as I am! Yet we hold tight to the promise that God will never leave us, nor forsake us. So step out! And know that "as God was with Moses, so He will be with you!"