1.16.2007

How Long?

Today I was listening to a song and broke into tears. The song is called "How Long" by a worship band called Rend the Heavens.

"I can't help but raise my voice and cry: How long till You come back? We're waiting here."

For the past few weeks my constant thought has been "how long" till this baby comes. I'm dying to know when. I think about it all the time, from the time I get up till the time I go to bed. I have everything prepared for when the baby comes - her nursery is ready, the carseat is installed, our hospital bags are packed. And I spend all day thinking about what ELSE I could do to make everything just right for when our child comes. "How long?"
If only I had that same sort of passion and drive regarding Christ's return. Of course I look forward to and long for it, but I certainly don't think about it day in and day out. I'm ashamed to say that it would be nice to know when, but I'm not "dying to know." And while I'm ready for Him to come back at any time, I rarely ever think about what ELSE I could be doing between now and then.
I don't ever want my love for my children to be more intense than my love for Jesus. Holla if ya hear me.

4 comments:

margaret said...

This is probably one of my biggest struggles. I've been a parent longer than a Christian, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. (Old habits die hard, ya know.) I always think about Abraham and how he was willing to obey God even when it meant sacrificing his son, Isaac. Would I have been so full of faith, so willing to trust God and His will?

Anonymous said...

As for intensity of love for your kids vs. Christ...

I love Malachi (and Zachary) with, I would say, as much intensity as I do for Christ. I never EVER imagined I could or would love them so much!

But the love's are different. For my kids...a love to protect, nurture and guide. For Jesus...a love of awe, and love to my Protector, my Father. A love a thankfulness.

My two cents...Hope I'm not wrong in loving my kids with as much intensity...

Anonymous said...

I want to say, "amen!" But I think maybe that's why God gives us kids! So we can FINALLY GET HIM in some areas. Just think, you wouldn't know with what intensity you should be anticipating his return unless you were anxiously anticipating the birth of your baby!! I also know I want to love God more than anything, and be willing to sacrifice all (like Margaret was saying with Abraham and Isaac). I have no answers! I am starting to think about some of this stuff out myself!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that I always want to love Jesus more than my kids. I want to have the heart of Abraham and trust Jesus more than my emotions...more than my mind...and more than my will.

I would lay down my life for my son....in a second!!! But, I also want to be willing to lay down my life for Jesus if called to do so...and further than that--I want to have a heart that will never, ever deny Jesus...even if it meant sacrificing my kids. A horrible thought, but I know that Jesus is worthy of that.

I always want to love Jesus more. I don't always do that yet, but I want to. :)