11.20.2006

Birthing Classes

Tonight JP and I went to our first childbirth preparation class. Those of you who know JP can just imagine how thrilled he was/is about that! Sitting still for 2.5 hours is hard enough when he's doing something he enjoys...much less doing something like watching videos of (generally unattractive) women giving birth in 1986. (Note: I think they use unattractive women in those videos on purpose, to keep our "weaker brethren" from stumbling if you know what I mean!) :)
The one good thing that came out of the night was that JP changed his mind about wanting me to do an all-natural childbirth. After watching that women go through labor without pain meds, I think he realized it's not so much about being weak as it is about being miserable when you could very well be happy and enjoying yourself through a majority of labor.
We have three more sessions. I think he'll make it through. In the meantime, I like the fact that he's required to play with my hair, massage my back and caress me as "practice" throughout the night. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so right! This is not an opportunity to show off your super-woman powers while being absolutely beside yourself in pain. I'm glad you guys can do this together!! :)

Grant said...

you go girls! Yisrael come forth, in a bit.

JP, just tell her to not take any pain meds so you can both be on the same page. Until she smacks you while she is writhing in pain that is...fun stuff, enjoy!

The Charlebois said...

I think JP would prefer that I get some extra pain meds for him to take so we can be on the same page. :)

Chris Good said...

I tried to convince my wife to go through a c-section with no drugs...but the Doc wouldn't have it. (for those of you who are worried...yes I love sarcasm)

JP, just remember HEE HEE HEE WHOOOOOO (that's the breathing exercises)

Nikki and I couldn't stop laughing when we had to practice that. Oh and we skipped the C-Section video...but ended up having to go that route.