4.19.2006

Graveyard Shift

Right now it's 3:00am on Wednesday morning and I'm at work. I picked up the overnight shift two nights this week. The first was Sunday night into Monday morning and it went pretty well. I'm not holding up as well for this second one. I have told hold out for three more hours...plus the car ride home...then I'm going to collapse.

The "big news" today is that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes had their baby. A little girl they named Suri - which means "Princess" in Hebrew (I guess that's where the name "Sara" comes from?) and "Red Rose" in Persian.

I'm sorry...but is this really the "big news?"

Did anyone see Don Shelby's "In The Know" last night at 10pm? He expressed my feelings exactly about the TomKat baby exactly. When the baby was born, word came out over the Associated Press wires as an urgent - yes, URGENT - bulletin. The same status as the bulletins we received on 9/11. When urgent bulletins cross our wires here at the station, little alarms go off to warn of big news.

Quoth Don:
"When we learned of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center, the wires styled the news an "urgent bulletin."
Okay, I'm going to ask the question straight out: What in the world has happened to us?
It used to be, when the alarms went off on our wire machines, we yelled, "Stop the presses." So, with nuclear sabers being rattled in Iran, the war in Iraq and Nigeria threatening the worlds oil supply, I expect some urgency in the bulletin. The next time the urgent bells go off in the newsroom, I'll take my time, even though it might be late word on Jennifer and Vince's engagement."

3 comments:

margaret said...

I think it might be big news if some of these people tried getting married BEFORE having kids.

Chris Good said...

LOL - Margaret...Too Funny.

And Go DON SHELBY!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I heard a Jewish man on the radio state that the name Suri in Hebrew is NOT a translation of the name Sarah, which is actually Sari--meaning "Princess." Instead, Suri in Hebrew means "Get out of here!" or "Beat it!" Nice, eh? Or course, I don't speak Hebrew, but I do listen to this guy on the radio a lot and he appears to be very trained in the Hebrew language. He made a huge mockery of Tom and Katie stating that they were so stupid they did not ever research the name of their own kid!