10.06.2005

Our Father which art in Heaven


I read a post today that really got me thinking about my relationship to God as the Father. On Runalong with Pastor Mark, he presents this short parenting quiz:

"Agree or Disagree? A good parent understands that it is best for their children if...

1. They don't always get what they want.
2. They don't always get their own way.
3. They learn, through repeated experience, to be willing, when necessary, to set aside their own desires and plans for the sake of others."

Chances are most of us would agree to all three of these points. But here's the kicker:

"One last question:Your Father in heaven is a good parent. Do you sincerely thank Him each time He blesses you in one of these three ways?"

When's the last time I considered not getting my way as a blessing from the Lord?
You've heard the saying, "You'll thank me when you're older." Godly parents won't hesitate to protect their children from always getting the things they want because they know it's for the child's good. A child who always gets his way turns into a terror. Nobody wants to be around a spoiled rotten kid, much less a spoiled rotten kid-turned-adult. It's good for the child to learn contentedness.
Pastor Mark is right: God is a good Father. He knows that by not always giving us what we want, He's doing us a favor. Sometimes we don't realize it right away. But here's the thing: earthly parents are capable of making mistakes in the decisions they make for their children. God cannot - He's God. Whatever he chose, that's what's best, period. We don't have to wait 'till "when we're older" to decide if it really was for our good and thank Him then. We can thank Him for it right on the spot.
So today, I'm thanking the Lord for not giving me the things I thought I wanted, even though I may not understand why He did it yet.

"If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask Him? " (Matt 7:11)

What I thought I wanted
What I got instead
Leaves me broken...and grateful.
-Sara Groves

No comments: