11.20.2009

Lefse

Last week I had the great honor of learning how to make homemade potato lefse with G & Bompa. It is a tradition they have been maintaining for years, and I'm only sorry it took me this long to join in on the fun!
These guys start at the crack of dawn -- I haven't been up and out of the house that early in a long, long time. I won't go into all the details of how lefse is made, but I will say that I was pleasantly surprised at how simple and rewarding it is! The secret is mastering the art of using the lefse sticks, and according to Bompa (the reigning champion), I guess I didn't do all that bad!
This was the second year that they have held their lefse-making day without the loving help of Grandma Arlene, Bompa's mom. She was the master, and I'm so very happy to now be able to carry on the lefse tradition in our family. As soon as the girls are old enough to roll the ingredients into balls, we'll teach them, too.

G prepares the potato mixture.

Bompa demonstrates the proper flipping technique
My first piece of lefse!
View more photos here.

1 comment:

David and Bethany said...

I regret never learning how to make this from my grandma when she used to make it each year...so kudos to you for learning! It looks so good! We have tried to purchase it down here, but have never been able to find it in any grocery stores like you can up north!