8.01.2007

I-35W Collapse

By now you have all seen the bridge collapse on 35W. We were about half a block away from there when it happened, at our church on 10th and University. We were inside practicing for worship when the lights flickered. A couple people heard a boom (I didn't) and went outside to check it out. When we saw what was happening, we walked down to the 10th Ave bridge and watched it all go down. We were there before the authorities were. Praise God everybody from my family and our church was safe - it happened about 10-15 minutes before most people would have been coming over the bridge for church.
This is probably the #1 craziest thing I have ever seen first-hand in my life. I have never seen a tragedy of this magnitude up close. There were cars in the water, cars on cars, cement on cars, people climbing out of windshields, people lying out on the ground...it was crazy. Our regular church service switched into a prayer meeting for the victims, rescue workers, and families and friends of those involved. Some people from church brought water coolers out for the rescue workers and prayed for people on the street. My brother was on standby with the fire department to gone down there and help with the rescue, but at about 11:00 pm last night they sent him home. He may need to go relieve other workers out there today, though.
Here are a couple pictures I got on my cell phone.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy you're safe... I saw the story on yahoo as I was checking my email and starting calling family but the lines were jammed. I couldn't get through to anyone until late at night when I got your text.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you and the gang are okay...

Brian

jerarbw said...

I'm so glad to hear that all of your family and church family are safe!
:o)Amanda