7.20.2006

Sure Beats a Minivan

JP and I ran into some car troubles yesterday. We were driving his van to do some errands and all of the sudden it just stopped running. We had to coast over to the side of the road. My brother came and towed us home. Hours later, JP took my van to go work out and what do you know, the very same thing happened with that van while he was on Highway 100. Turns out the fuel pump had gone out on both of them within just a few hours of each other.
We were obviously shocked, but especially concerned because we were supposed to be going on a family camping trip this weekend, and now we didn't seem to have a car to do that.
Praise the Lord, JP was able to get his van fixed today, though it cost us a bit more than we had anticipated. Plus we found out after the fact that his uncle could have gotten us the same part needed to fix it for about $400 cheaper than we had paid for it.
I, on the other hand, am the extremely blessed one because I got a new car out of the deal!!!!
We had already been planning to give my van away. It's a fine van, but it has issues and couldn't be relied upon. JP didn't feel right sending his pregnant wife out in it. I also have a little 1990 Mazda Protege that's a great little car, but it's a beater with no A/C or anything else for that matter. So we had been planning to get rid of both cars and get me a new one. Yesterday's occurrences seemed to be the opportune time to move on that inclination.
So today, I am the proud new owner of a BRAND NEW Toyota Scion Xb. You know, those boxy-looking cars you see every now and then. We decided to go with the Scion because it's very affordable, has the lowest cost-to-own in its class, gets great gas mileage, and has a really good resale value. It's also cool-looking and very roomy.
I'm blown away to be driving a new vehicle - I never imagined I would EVER drive a brand new car in my life, much less at 24 years old.
Praise God for providing what we needed to get JP's van fixed and the new car. We are blessed beyond what we can even understand.
Anybody want to go for a ride???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I'll go for a ride with you anytime.

Too bad you couldn't get the part from Uncle Kevin. He has saved us a ton of money over the years. Maybe next time:)

Stuart B said...

Yes, but can you race in it?

Anonymous said...

You are blessed! Nice car!

Chris Good said...

come on the box is better than a MiniVan? Lets just say they are equal. :)