9.30.2005

Love and Marriage

Today, I have officially been married for 6 weeks. Here are some things I've learned:

1.) I am not a morning person - the worst part is, JP is. I never realized what a crab I am in the morning because, well, there was never anyone around to test me on it before! Poor JP...how could he have known? I'm getting better at it, though.
2.) Taking care of a house takes a lot of work - I grew up doing chores, but they were always split up between five kids. Now I have a whole house to concern myself with. I work 40 hours a week and would love to just come home and lay on the couch with a book...but this place isn't just going to clean itself! Laundry, dishes, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, dusting (yeah, haven't done that lately), changing linens, not to mention the yard we've barely touched.
3.) I am not a gormet chef - see the crock pot blog.
4.) Husbands really do need respect more than hugs and kisses - I'm not the sweet, angelic soul I'm sure you all think I am. :) I can drop some real hurtful bombs sometimes without even realizing it. Little things, like not doing exactly what JP asked me today because "my way works just as good" can be a slap in the face to him. To a man, that sort of action says, "thanks for your opinion, but you don't really know what you're talking about."Lord, help me to show my huband in every way how much I respect him.
5.) If you try to sleep all cuddled up with your honey, your arms will go numb.
6.) I am a little independent rebel - and it always backfires. Every time I try to do something "on my own," it always ends up coming back to point its finger at me, laughing. For instance, we bought an "assembly required" wall cabinet for the bathroom. JP told me to wait for him to help put it together, but I wanted to do it myself. I tried...and let's just say I ended up putting some holes in places where there weren't supposed to be holes. A small example, but you get my point. Pride cometh before a destruction.

People always say that once you get married, your spouse's faults start to come out. I think it's just the opposite. Now that I'm married, I'm realizing what a silly little girl I can be and how much need I am in of God's grace to help me be a Proverbs 31 woman. Thank God for my loving, patient husband and his willigness to continue to love and bear with me as I learn these truths.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's what I like to call "sanctification by love." In my case I knew about those things before. . . but now that they come in between you and your beloved, you want to change as fast as you can so that your tender, blissfull, newlywed fellowship isn't interrupted by your junk. It's the sweetest way to be sanctified. It's the most thankful,ungrudging sanctification of your life. And if only I could walk in first love with Jesus, I would always be sanctified that way. But that's where agape kicks in when those other loves fail.

As to crocks, just wait till you try gravy. My first went in the trash.